The Power of the Unconscious Mind
About the Course
In this academy, Sam Coleman will dig into the unconscious mind, and argue that it holds a much greater influence over us than current thinkers choose to accept; a radical proposal which will force us to confront the world in a completely different way.
By the end of the course, you will have learnt:
- The difference between the conscious and unconscious
- The kinds of mental objects and physical sensations that count as unconscious
- How the unconscious can impact our behaviour, bias and decision-making
- Freud’s view of the unconscious
- The moral significance of unconscious states and behaviours
IAI Academy courses are designed to be challenging but accessible to the interested student. No specialist knowledge is required.
About the Instructor
Sam Coleman is a Philosopher at the University of Hertfordshire in England. He works on topics in the philosophy of mind and is fascinated by the hard problem of consciousness.
Part One: The Unconcious MindWhat is the unconscious mind? How influential is the unconscious mind in forming who we are? How do we form biases?
Part Two: The Responsibility IllusionHow does the role of the unconscious affect our moral culpability? How should we treat unconscious beings? How will accepting the influence of our unconscious mind change the way we live?