Beyond Beyoncé Feminism
About the Course
The world has been transformed by neoliberalism. Many liberal thinkers now believe that from the workplace to the home, society is converging on equality. In this course, Beatrix Campbell attacks this pervasive myth, arguing that violence, power hierarchies and inequality are inevitable in the emerging sexual settlement. Neoliberalism and neopatriarchy dominate our culture, but they are not absolute. Are there alternatives?
By the end of the course, you will have learned:
- the conditions of women being allowed into the world of work
- how the patriarchy responded to the equal pay act
- the evidence that modern men are more progressive
- the impact of the Murdoch media empire on equality
- the common thread between page three models and the burka
- what the emerging economies tell us about the future of equality
- why violence is a strategic resource for masculinity
- how violence reigns supreme in the new democracies of South America
- the fate of justice and equality in a neoliberal society.
As part of the course there are in-video quiz questions to consolidate your learning, discussion boards to have your say and suggested further readings set by Beatrix Campbell to stimulate a deeper exploration of the topic.
IAI Academy courses are designed to be challenging but accessible to the interested student. No specialist knowledge is required.
About the Instructor
Socialist and feminist activist and writer, Beatrix Campbell has written for the Guardian, New Statesman and Red Rag, as well as nine books including this year's The End of Equality.
Part One: The Rise of the NeopatriarchyWhat does the 21st century sexual contract look like and how did it emerge?
Part Two: The New Sexual SettlementHow do the politics and economics of labour conspire to make inequality impossible?
Part Three: Violence, War and JusticeCould we expect a society free from prejudice with world peace and democracy for all?
Suggested Further Readings
A selection of further readings has been suggested by Campbell as part of this course.
Our editors have brought together a range of content from across IAI.tv which explore the ideas in this course.